Through words, we can raise children with the tools to dream, build, create, break away boundaries and explore the world.
To contribute towards a culture of reading and a love for words that will improve literacy in South Africa one word at a time, one child at a time through a national spelling challenge and creating a national network of child word enthusiast.
Words are power. Words are the small bits that make up language and form the basis for communication. People express who they are through words and language. People share their ideas and thoughts and connect with each other through words. Words allow us into the world and make it possible to share ourselves to the world.
The challenges in education and literacy will lock South Africa’s children out of a fast changing world. To be illiterate in today’s world is to be powerless in many areas of life. There is nothing wrong with South Africa’s children but lacking the basic tools to communicate and learn will make them a step behind.
The Mzansi Spelling Bee moves to turn the tide on education; one word at a time, one child at a time.
Why take part in the Mzansi Spelling Bee
- It is fun
- It’s challenging
- Improves vocabulary and reading ability
- Develops self-confidence
- Develops public speaking skills
- Connects word nerds from all over South Africa and creates a community of word loves
- Because you can, no matter how scared you feel or if you think you cannot spell, give yourself surprise and so something that scares you.
- Get children to the library, the spelling bee is a great way to get children to use libraries through the activities and networks it creates around spelling.